|CARL’S CORNER – AUTO REPAIR HELP
GENERAL GARAGE SAFETY TIPS
1. Always begin auto repairs on a cool engine to prevent burns.
2. Always wear eye protection when working underneath a vehicle or when using power tools.
3. DO NOT wear loose clothing or jewelry when working over an engine or troubleshooting an engine that is running.
4. Always set the parking brake, and block the tires to prevent the vehicle from rolling while working on it.
5. Always use jackstands to support a vehicle when working underneath it.
6. Keep a fire extinguisher in your shop area in case of emergency.
7. Never smoke when working on a vehicle.
8. Make sure the ignition key is in the “OFF” position when replacing any electronic components.
9. Never work on a running vehicle in an enclosed area.
10. Make sure there is proper ventilation or a hose exhaust system is connected to the tailpipe and routed outside of the immediate working area.
11. Keep your hands clear of the cooling system fan at all times. Even though the ignition key is turned off, the electric fan will still engage on many vehicles until the temperature of the coolant in the radiator has cooled down.
12. Never remove the radiator cap while the cooling system is hot. Always allow a couple of hours for the engine to cool before opening any part of the cooling system.